We strongly recommend students to find out from our administration if they need a visa to enter and study in Ghana before embarking on the journey to Accra. In any case, you must have a valid international vaccination card. You may come to Accra by road or by plane. If you are coming to Ghana for the first time by road, we recommend that you use the service of a reliable transport company such as STC, ABC, CROSS COUNTRY, STM and NITA. We can also advise you on public transport if you ask us before you arrive.

 Pick-up Services

Durra Institute can arrange for a transport service to welcome you at the airport or Bus station and take you to your accommodation. Please inform us about your itinerary, date, and time of arrival at least three working days before your arrival.

Immigration requirements | Visa and residence permit

Any foreign national planning to reside and study in Ghana for a period of more than three months needs a residence permit. To study in Ghana, the prospective student should first have an offer of admission from a recognized and accredited Institution in Ghana. Students other than those coming from ECOWAS countries are required to obtain visas or entry permits before proceeding to Ghana. The following additional requirements will have to be met irrespective of nationality before the issuance of a residence permit:

  • Should enter with a valid travel document i.e. (passport, ECOWAS Travel Document) and evidence of admission letter from an accredited institution.
  • To have an offer of an approved course from an accredited institution.
  • Show proof of payment of required course fees
  • Should pay the prescribed fees for a residence permit.
  • Should complete an application form together with two (2) passport size photographs

Non-citizen ID card

The Ghana Immigration Service requires all foreign nationals to show their non-citizen ID card before they are issued with Residence Permit. All new applications or renewals for Residence Permits must be submitted with a copy of the Non-citizen IDCard.

What is the Non-citizen ID card?

The Non-citizen Ghana card is the national identity card for foreign nationals living in Ghana. All foreign nationals living in Ghana for a total of 90 days or more are required by law to register for their Non-citizen Ghana card. The Card, costing US$ 120.00, shall be used for all transactions which require identification. Foreign nationals living in Ghana who does not have the Non-citizen Ghana card shall not receive services from the Ghana Immigration Service.

Money and Living Expenses

The currency used in Ghana is the Ghanaian Cedi (GHS). You can change money at bureaux de change or withdraw money from Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) with an international ATM card (VISA or MasterCard). We recommend that you do not carry a large amount of cash with you as unfortunately pickpockets operate everywhere and Accra is not an exception. If you are traveling by road, we advise you not to change much money at the entry point (border) as the Ghanaian Cedi is a new currency to you. You may just change a very little amount (perhaps 10.000 FCFA) for your journey.

We recommend students to have a budget of at least US$ 220.00 per month to study in Accra in addition to tuition fees.


If you need hospital treatment, you should go to the nearest hospital or healthcare center. If you need to see a specialist, you may go to our administration for advice or assistance.

All students who intend to study in Ghana for more than three months are advised to register with the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS). Over 95% of disease conditions that afflict us are covered by the NHIS. Currently, the membership fee is less than US$ 10.00 per year.

Personal Safety

  • Keep your valuables out of sight (your bag, camera, or mobile phone for example). This is especially important if you are in a crowded area such as on a bus. There are many pickpockets in Accra, SO BE CAREFUL!
  • If somebody steals your purse/wallet, don’t forget to cancel your credit or ATM cards as soon as possible.
  • Take extra care when crossing the road. Always remember to look BOTH WAYS as traffic may be coming from a different direction to what you are familiar with.
  • Never walk alone late at night!
  • If you think you are being followed, cross the street, change directions or vary your pace.

Opening a Bank Account and receiving money

In order to open a bank account, you will need to ask Reception for a school letter confirming that you are a registered student. You will also need to take your passport to the bank; some banks may ask for a utility bill such as an electricity bill to confirm your address. You may also have to provide a copy of your residence permit.

Having an account is especially useful when students need to transfer money from their country. To receive money through money transfer companies (Western Union, MoneyGram, etc.) the only accepted form of identification is an international passport with valid resident permit for foreigners. However, you can use international ATM cards to withdraw money from several ATMs across Ghana.

Join Us Today!

Join Durra Institute today to experience the best result.

Admission is ongoing at Durra

Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.